Getting Married, Documents

When you attend before a superintendent registrar or a church minister to make the formal arrangements for your marriage, you may need to produce certain documents, for example, proof of identity such as your passport or birth certificate.

If you have been married before, a decree absolute of divorce or if you are a widow or widower, the death certificate of your former spouse. If one of you is under 18 years of age, the written consent of your parents or guardian will be required.

If you are marrying a step-relative or an in-law, you will need to provide relevant death certificates and/or other documents requested by the superintendent registrar or minister. Should any of the above documents be in a foreign language, you will need to provide a certified translation in English. If you are unable to provide any of the required documents, the superintendent registrar or church minister will advise you what other documents are acceptable.

If you are not a UK citizen, you will also need to produce your passport.

Documentary evidence, such as your travel documents, may also be required to demonstrate that you have met the necessary residency requirement.

Legal requirements Civil ceremony Church Documents required Costs Best man Bridesmaids Matron of honour Something old Veil Threshold Third Finger First On The Dance Floor Why The Bride Stands On The left Bridal flowers Leap year Proposals Throwing confetti Diary Page Boy, Flower girl Photographer Ushers Speeches Stationary Wedding Cake